Who is eligible?
- People aged between 2 to 30 years, AND
- Live in Australia OR New Zealand, AND
- Have a relative diagnosed with type 1 diabetes OR
- Have previously had a positive antibody test
Who is not eligible?
- Someone with a diagnosis of diabetes (other than gestational diabetes which resolved after the baby was born)
- Someone who is unable to have a blood test
- A participant, or their legal guardian, who is unable to give consent to participate
To participate in Type1Screen you will be asked to:
- read the information sheet
- sign the consent form for your age group (i.e. 2-18 years or 18-30 years)
- email the signatory page (page 9) to email@example.com
- complete the health questionnaire emailed to you by the team
- visit a local pathology centre to have a blood test
Participants will be informed of their results within two months of the sample being collected. If diabetes antibodies are identified, a second blood sample will be arranged to confirm the finding.
People who have diabetes antibodies will be linked to the closest participating diabetes centre to learn about symptoms of diabetes, and will be offered opportunities to participate in studies that aim to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes. I’ve just had my 4 year old son tested. We now have an 8 week wait for results. If he does test positive for antibodies I like the idea of:- having him involved in clinical trials that might prevent him going
I’ve just had my 4 year old son tested. If he does test positive for antibodies I like the idea of:
-having him involved in clinical trials that might prevent him going on to develop diabetes or prolonging the time frame before diagnosis.
-having early warning so we can do lots of education around finger prick testing, pumps, food choices and carbs, hypos etc so it’s not such a lot to learn if he does then develop diabetes.
-giving me peace of mind for a few years if he doesn’t have antibodies yet (eg not panic he has diabetes if he randomly wets the bed, has a day where he drinks more than usual etc!!Participating Type1Screen Mum, June 2020
Are you ready to get involved?
To get started, download and read our information and consent form.
If you understand the information, and want to take the next step, sign and email page 9 to Type1Screen@mh.org.au.
Please ensure you email a signed consent form for each person wishing to be screened to Type1Screen@mh.org.au.
Do you have more questions? You might find the answers on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.
Perhaps you would like to support us with a tax-deductible donation?
For more information contact Type1Screen.